Thursday, August 16, 2012

self portrait thursday: collage me

thrifted dress (H&M); thrifted shirt (Phase Two); thrifted sandals;
ceramic pendant by seaurchin on Etsy; copper ring and earrings by ebbandflo
Life.
A mixture of images.
Some overlap. Some are close. Some are miles apart.
Not all of them fit neatly together but together they go to make a collage.

Some people have neatly ordered regulation-sized accurately margined collages - row after row of uniformity, nothing out of place, symmetrical ... precise ... regimented ... predictable ... lifeless.

Not me.
Though I started off with a neatly collaged life, once I left home under my own steam the borders became wavy, the images scattered or overlapped at willy nilly, the whole collection undulated unpredictably and at times seemed hell-bent on dropping from the frame. Somehow it all stayed together, and, out of what was not a terribly pretty picture for a number of years, a very pleasing composition is emerging.

It might not be everybody's choice, but I'm not everybody and I make my own art.


ebb and flo by pomo mama design click to shop pomo mama design online!