Thursday, February 26, 2009

rotational symmetry


rotational symmetry, originally uploaded by ebbandflo_pomomama.

My eggbox must have symmetry of one sort or another. It completely throws me if I have to disturb the arrangement by taking out an inauspicious number of eggs. Determining the symmetry of the remaining eggs can add minutes to a simple task.

I will even rearrange the eggbox after mr ebb has been tinkering with it (sometimes i know he does this on purpose).

Asymmetry in my domestic surroundings disturbs me.

...... but not in necklaces, wire crochet cuffs or other pieces of jewelry I make (with the possible exception of earrings).

I am not sure what this says about me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brother needs the food on his plate to be arranged just so, and will rearrange after taking a few bites. Do you need to do this too?

Anonymous said...

I am the exact same way with the egg carton. I don't know why, but I need it to be a certain way. I would arrange six eggs in exactly the same manner your photo shows. Thankfully my husband doesn't eat them, and so he does not disturb my arranging.

pomomama said...

Phew! I was wondering if I was truly bizarro but I do get a certain zen-like calmness and clarity from knowing my eggs are appropriately arranged (heaven knows what my ovaries look like!)

pomomama said...

Luckily I don't re-order the plate I'm eating off (tho' I must admit I do get upset if it does look lop-sided). I think mr ebb would be able to stay silent if i conducted more of my obsessive symmetrical tricks in front of him. I know there are other things I do, mostly subconcious so I;m struggling to come up with any further examples

Post a Comment

ebb and flo by pomo mama design click to shop pomo mama design online!