Thursday, March 13, 2008

officially .....


officially ....., originally uploaded by ebbandflo_pomomama.

I'm not promising, but hopefully this will be the last fling of the pity party for my ear.

To recap, in late January a nasty little virus went for a rampage thru my inner ear, knocking out my balance, hearing and skin sensation. Although balance has compensated and there are no longer any sensation deficits, I can hear virtually nothing intelligible thru my right ear.

Well, that's not completely true. My everday life is accompanied by 'raging mountain torrent' or 'badly tuned radio' or 'fuzzy TV station' when it's not being punctauted by the whistles, clicks and pings of tinnitus.

Today was my second visit to the ear doctor. He confirmed my worst fears - the hearing loss is severe and permanent. Moreover, I am not a good candidate for a hearing aid as the loss is so severe. I am officially deaf in my right ear.

From now on I have to get used to a world in mono, never being alone and silent thanks to the tinnitus, difficulties following a conversation and being unable to listen to my Wee Guy if he walks on my right side.

Right now there is a full scale pity party in progress. Why me?

Feel free to leave motivational comments, virtual hugs or to tell me to get my ass back in gear and stop moping!

Thanks in anticipation.

4 comments:

terrain said...

Oh Ebb I'm so sorry! I was hoping it would get better for you. ((((hug))))

pomomama said...

So was I and I still hold a smidgeon of a hope for some little improvement, maybe enough to work out what direction a sound is coming from.
However, yesterday I met some amazing people who are coping with worse things that life has thrown at them. It put it all into perspective as to how minor it all really is. I'm sad cos it's me and my hearing, but I'm now curious to see how much I can adapt and get back on with life. Tally ho!

eclipse said...

I'm so sorry to hear this! I didn't even know you were going through this. :( (((hugs)))
I hope the adjustment period isn't too hard on you. You sound like you're being very brave and strong so I know you will come out fine.

pomomama said...

thank you eclipse, for the thoughts and the hugs. i am so lucky - i have amazing family and great friends, both on and off-line

Post a Comment

ebb and flo by pomo mama design click to shop pomo mama design online!